Logo

Sunday

Growing Closer to God

I recently discovered something.  I have always believed that if you grow closer to God and get to know His Son, Jesus Christ, better, all of your relationships in life will be closer as well.

I have started reading the Old Testament this year.  We are studying it in Church and I thought I better read it through at least once in my life.  I've read our other scriptures (New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price) several times - too many to even count, but I have never read the entire Old Testament from beginning to end.

I start each day (I miss a day or two, here and there, but really strive to read every day) with a prayer before I read.  This really helps me get focused on what I am about to read and what my day needs to look like.  I ask for guidance and for the Spirit to be in my home so I can do everything I need to do that day.
Well, something marvelous has happened.  As I read, learn, and understand the doctrine in the Old Testament, my love for God and His Son has grown tremendously.  But what's even more marvelous - my love for my husband has grown. My love for my children has grown.  My love for my close friends has grown.  Love for strangers has grown.  I think it is pretty miraculous.  It is just a different feeling towards all these people.  It's a stronger feeling of love and appreciation for my Savior and a clear understanding that He does live, and He does know ME, personally.  I know without a doubt that this is because I am reading the scriptures and truly yearning to understand them.  I know God speaks to us through the scriptures.

The LIGHT of Christ has filled my heart and I am better because of it.  I have also learned that I can't read once and be good for the rest of the week. I need to read EVERYDAY.  It's like brushing your teeth.  You can't brush your teeth 14 times in a row and be good until next week - NO - you need to brush your teeth everyday.  Same thing with spiritual things.  You need to be renewed each day.

No matter your religion, no matter what scriptures you have.  Read them.  Pray for understanding of them.  Pray for guidance from a loving Heavenly Father.  He will help you - you just need to ask.  I love the picture of Christ standing at a door.  If you'll notice there is no doorknob.  You must let Him in.






post signature




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...