Logo

Thursday

My Dad's Passing

On August 25, 2014, my dad passed away.  He was very sick.  He had multiple problems happening inside his body.  He ultimately died from respiratory failure from Pneumonia.  He was 66. Way too young to die.

I loved my dad.  He loved me.  He loved my husband.  He loved my children.  He was a wonderful grandpa.  My kids are really missing him.

I have had a chance to experience the passing of loved ones a few times.  I have had 2 close friends pass, and 2 grandmas pass.  My one grandma - my Grandma A just passed away last year.  This was hard.  I was very close to her.  I took care of her for part of her last few years.  I mourned her death.

Having my dad die has been a unique experience for me.  Myself, and all of my siblings and my mom were there with him when he passed.  We had several weekends when we were able to be with him towards the end.   I feel like I had a chance to close any open doors, reconcile differences, say sorry's, let him know how much I loved him.  My children were able to see him as well.  I felt great closure to the point that I could accept his passing.  I didn't want him to die, but I knew if he did, I would be okay.  I had resolved any issues with him that needed to be resolved.  I was at peace.

As my siblings and I are trying to close out all of his estate, it has been very interesting to see how each person mourns ones death.  I was able to somewhat "get closure" before he passed.  I mourned his death prior and after he died.  His funeral was a huge closure moment for me.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I miss him dearly.  But I am at peace with his passing.  I am at the point where I have gone through the MOURNING process, and I am okay with that.  I am now transitioning to REMEMBERING him and our memories with him.  It's a much happier time.  It's not so emotionally draining.  I am enjoying this time of remembering.  It's interesting to watch as other members of my family seem to still be mourning.  There is nothing wrong with this.  It's just interesting to me to watch others still mourn when I am past that phase, as each person must mourn in their own way.  I want to remember his life way more than I want to mourn his death.

Here are some pictures of me with my dad, and a few others (none are current, but still classics!).  I love you, dad.  I miss you so much!  Until we meet again....

My brother, Mike, Me, and Dad

This is one of my most cherished pictures.
Two of my most favorite people in the whole world.
It is both of my grandma's.  My mom's mom, and my dad's mom,

This is me with my Grandma R, my dad's mom.

My dad and I on my baptism day.

My most favorite picture of my dad and I.
I was probably 6 or 7.




post signature





1 comment:

  1. Sorry for your loss. Sending prayers of comfort your way. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...